30 May 2006

Gone Fishin'

Every year my friends and I spend Memorial Day weekend fishing near Alexandria, MN. It's a great little resort that's family owned and operated. Originally I didn't fish, but just went to spend time with friends and get out on the lake - but curiosity killed the carp, and I've been a fisherman now for the past 4 years. Different people join us every year to fish, drink, play games and be merry. This year was no exception, however we're now a lot older than we were 9 years ago when this tradition started.

I've made a few observations of this past weekend - you pretty much get it or you don't:
- Children under the age of 3 walk with the weight of an elephant
- Recovery from a night of consumption takes twice as long as it did 5 years prior
- As people get older, they complain more when things happen outside of their routine.
- An eelpout is one ugly fish.
- Resort cabins are made with thin walls and no insulation.
- A bonfire brings out the best conversation topics.

I hope that your weekend was equally as relaxing and enjoyable. We all had a great time!

No comments: