24 July 2006

Country Jam! *yeeeehaw*

I'm not a Country music fan. I'll repeat, I am -not- a Country music fan! However, I did volunteer at the 2006 Country Jam music festival held in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. I grew up listening to Country & Western music before I knew any better, so it was somewhat tolerable.

Some of the artists were pretty good (Little Big Town, Sawyer Brown, Josh Gracin) and one was downright painful (Sugarland). The latter's lead singer kept talking in-between songs about nothing in particular and her faux-country (at least I hope it was) accent could drive a herd of cattle off a cliff to their imminent deaths.

Our job was to take tickets and give out wristbands. We had a pretty good system worked out and there weren't any problems. I caught one person with a fake ID (21+ had specially colored bands to get them into the beer garden) and another asked me to give him one without a Driver's License. We saw one girl get kicked out for underage drinking, but not because of our group's wrongdoing.

People-watching was at its finest, however. Some of the things that our fellow citizens come up with to go out in public just suprised me! Some of these gals wore stiletto heeled shoes/boots and were complaining about not being able to walk well?! Um, hello? You're in the middle of the woods walking to a field! Common sense was definitely lacking...

1 comment:

TekBandit said...

I used to work the Winstock out in Winstead Minnesota. The things that I've seen and of course caught a couple of underage drinkers... You'd be suprised that you "can" set a porta potty on fire...