11 August 2008

Door County

Like I said, I didn't want to worry about blogging while in scenic Door County. It was one of the most relaxing vacation spots I've been to - and the funny thing is that both Elizabeth and I are from Wisconsin and neither of us had been there before.

We got arrived at Sister Bay around 8pm on Thursday, checked into the resort and decided to pick up food and bring it back to our condo. This was a wise move as the Mexican restaurant was packed with a long wait...not something good for two toddlers. The food was excellent!

On Friday, we started off slow and went to breakfast at the infamous Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant and Butik. The servers were dressed up in Scandinavian traditional attire and the food was splendid - well worth the 1.5 hour wait. For the afternoon, we explored the 'thumb' of Wisconsin and went all the way to the tip...just to say we were there. ;) That evening, we went further south to Egg Harbor and ate at Shipwrecked, another fine establishment. Georgia, Brian, Elizabeth and I then played mini-golf at Pirate's Cove. I got a hole-in-one!!! =)

Saturday started off with my wife's marathon training, a 14-mile run around rural Door County starting shortly after 6am. I was the clock/water stop guy with the van. I have to hand it to my wife, she's got a lot of desire to be able to run like she does! I found a cool little series on YouTube that kept me occupied. Later on Saturday, we did toured a few wineries and found some great deals on some really good wine. We also stopped by a state park to hang out at the beach, which was a lot of fun for our niece & nephew - and the rest of us who got to watch as they got extremely wet and covered in sand. Unfortunately, Elizabeth started coming down with a nasty cold - but the rest of us went to Fish Creek for a 'fish boil' - my very first. The food was once again excellent.

Elizabeth and I decided that we'll definitely go back to Door County again. We had a great time and would have loved to spend more time exploring the little towns and finding more great experiences.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aside from E's cold, it sounds like a great trip!!

PS - I think you've both had more than your share of nasty colds in the past couple years. It's time karma gave you a break=)